Study Visas

Study visas allow two kinds of studies: language studies and higher education. There are a number of tracks and a number of possibilities, of which you should be aware. Furthermore, there are a number of general questions, to which the answers are relevant to all types of study visas. For your convenience, I've gathered those questions here, along with the description of the different visas included in this category.

General Questions about Study Visas

What is a blocked account?
A blocked account is a German bank account offered in certain banks, in which 8.640 Euros are deposited, and each month you get hold of 1/12 of this sum for your use. These accounts are in fact the foreigners' registration office's way of ensuring that your stay in Berlin will be funded by you. You will need to open that kind of account if you are not officially supported by another person, meaning, when do not hold a financial support certificate (in German: Verpflichtungserklärung) signed by the German Consulate or the foreigners' registration office.

What is a financial support certificate (Verpflichtungserklärung)?
A financial support certificate is one which has been signed by the appropriate German authorities and provides proof that your stay in Berlin is funded by another person. People holding this certificate do not need to have a block bank account.

What is a biometric photo and how do I get it?
A biometric passport photo is in fact the standard passport photo in Germany. You can take the photo in any one of the Ubahn or Sbahn stations which have a passport photo booth around town, or in the photo shops which offer these photos. You could take the photo in the foreigners' registration office, but it is recommended to prepare these photos in advance in order to prevent stress before your visa appointment.

Language Study Visa

Who is it for?
A language study visa is suitable for people who want to learn the German language.

What do you get?
A visa for one year with no working permit. This visa is given for one year only and is not extendable.

Is this the visa suitable to my needs?
The language study visa fits the following cases:
1. People who want to live in Germany for a limited amount of time and learn the German language.
2. People who cannot apply for other types of visas, since they do not meet the requirements of other visas. In this case, you should note that if you would like to keep living in Germany, you will have to switch to a different visa before this one expires. Meaning, in that case, the language study visa will buy you some time, which can be used for organization towards your next visa application. .

Study Preparation Visa

Who is it for?
The study preparation visa is for people who would like to study in the university in Germany, but require time in order to meet admission requirements, especially due to reasons of language proficiency.

What do you get?
A visa for two years with a timely limited working permit; during the first calendar year you will be able to work only in holidays, and starting the second calendar year you will be able to work up to 120 days or 240 half days a year. This visa is given for two years only and is not extendable. During that time, you will need to do everything required in order to get in to a higher education institute in Germany, meaning: learn the German language to the level of C1, pass the language test required for universities, if needed, take part in a preparatory program (Sudienkolleg, Vorbereitungssemester) and complete an internship, apply for universities and enroll as a student.

Different websites tend to present the study preparation visa as the best, and sometimes only, visa solution. It is possible that the study preparation visa is not compatible to your needs, and there might be other visas which will serve you better. In order to be sure, you are very welcome to book a consultation appointment with me.

Student Visa

Who is it for?
A student visa is for people who are enrolled students at public or recognized higher education institutes in Berlin or Brandenburg.

Students who got in to higher education institutes in other provinces in Germany might need to tend to their visa affairs in those provinces, and not in the Berlin province, even if they currently live in Berlin. This means that if for example, you have started studying in a university in Leipzig but you reside in Berlin, you will need to tend to your visa affairs in Leipzig and not in Berlin. In this case, you will have to register your address in Leipzig.

What do you get?
A visa for one- to three years, during which you will be able to work up to 120 days or 240 half days a year.

Do you have any questions?
please feel free to contact me